Environmental, Health & Safety (EHS) Officer
W. M. Keck Observatory
Are you an Environmental Health & Safety professional passionate about promoting and ensuring a safe work environment? Are you committed to promoting and maintaining a strong culture of safety awareness and responsivity? Do you successfully plan, strategize and implement safety programs? Would you like to work at one of the world’s greatest observatories in a uniquely beautiful place? If yes, we want to hear from you!
The Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) Officer promotes and ensures safe work practices and protection of the environment while fostering a strong culture of awareness and responsibility in a working environment that encompasses a unique combination of aspects such as a high-altitude site, 24/7 operations, a complex industrial plant, large mechanical structures, high-tech instrumentation, laboratories with chemical processes, and a large transportation fleet. The EHS Officer spends approximately equal time at the observatory facility on the summit of Mauna Kea and the offices and labs at the headquarters facility in Kamuela, and provides in-person support to day and night staff.
- Plan, strategize and implement safety and environmental compliance programs.
- Organizes and prioritizes EHS functions in consultation with senior management, chairs the Safety Committee.
- Responsible for tactical decisions and makes recommendations to senior management for longer decisions that impact policy and budget.
- Responsible for advising senior management on physical and facility security, and working with organizational leadership to address security issues.
Reports to the Human Resources & Administration Manager while maintaining close coordination with and informal reporting to Operations and Infrastructure management, and has unrestricted access to the Observatory Director on critical safety matters.
Required Qualifications include
- Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Hygiene, Safety Engineering or related field. Equivalent experience may substitute for bachelor’s degree.
- Sound working knowledge of safety, health, and environmental principles and regulatory requirements.
- Five (5) years’ experience as a safety officer in an industrial/scientific setting which includes EHS oversight of internal construction activities (e.g. painting and steel assembly).
Apply to join a skilled and deeply committed team of professionals who enable exciting and important astronomical discoveries. Go to: https://keckobservatory.applicantpro.com/jobs/
The W. M. Keck Observatory operates two 10-meter optical and infrared telescopes, widely regarded as the most scientifically impactful ground-based telescopes in the world, on the summit of Maunakea on the Island of Hawaii.
Read about us, our science and our mission and submit a cover letter and resume telling us how your background and passion relate to this EHS Officer position. Visit us at www.keckobservatory.org to learn more about us. To see a video about Keck go to: https://vimeo.com/90063671
Keck Observatory offers a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits bundle including a 403(b) plan; a highly regarded tuition assistance program for dependent children (K-12 grade); and an unmatched focus of excellence all while working on the beautiful Big Island of Hawaii.